I went to a spa party tonight (it's kind of like a Tupperware party but with skin care products). While I was there, the hostess started telling everyone how I am her hero because I've been doing super-couponing and saving all of this money.
This isn't the first time I've been told that I'm someone's hero for one thing or another and it started me wondering ... am I a hero?
My definition of a hero has always been someone that faces danger while everyone else is running away. For instance, the fire fighters and police officers that ran into the World Trade Center on 9/11, definitely heroes. The passengers on Flight 93 that crashed the plane into the Pennsylvania field, heroes. The photographer that grabbed the bank robber, hero.
But these comments got me thinking.
I know my daughter considers me one of her heroes. She always wants to emulate my actions which is a sign of flattery. But other grown ups have told me this.
I was called a hero this time because I have been figuring out how to play the couponing game. During the last 6-8 weeks, I have been learning all of the ins and outs of coupons and how to get the best deal without breaking the rules. I brought my grocery bill down from an average of $550/month to only $283 this month and I have personal products to last a while. Impressive but heroic??
I have also been called a hero because I have figured out how to provide real meals and food for my family in a very simple manner rather than ordering out all the time ... in addition to working full time and running all over the country taking my daughter to one thing or another six and sometimes 7 days a week. Again, impressive but heroic?
I wouldn't consider myself a hero. Heck, take one look at the mess around my house and you'd probably say the same thing. But, then again, maybe Superman's house isn't tidy and clean because he's always flying off to save Lois. Maybe Wonder Woman stops at Target every now and then to pick up a couple more articles of clothing on her way home from the latest Steve Trevor rescue because she hasn't had time to do laundry in, oh, a week or more. Yeah, that could explain it.
When I start thinking about my definition of hero, I realize that maybe I'm being a bit too narrow-minded and boxed up in my thinking. Could I possibly define hero as being a single parent who works more than one job to support the family and make sure there is food on the table and clothes on the backs of the children? Yeah, maybe.
So, how would what I'm doing be that much of a stretch from the heroic acts of a single parent who wants to avoid welfare? It probably wouldn't but I don't see myself as a hero. I still put in my hours at work followed by my hours at home. I make sure my daughter has breakfast and lunch to take with her in the morning. I make dinner 4 or more nights a week. I save money on the non-perishables so that I can spend the money necessary on the perishables that don't go on sale very often.
Hmmmmmm, OK, so, I'm a hero. What letter should I wear on my chest?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment