Friday, February 19, 2010

The Immortal Parent

Reality has come to Flatland. My parents are mortal ... or, at least my dad is mortal.

This week we were delivered a crushing blow ... 'they' think my 85 year old dad has an aortic aneurysm. The 'they' in the story is the Veterans Association. He uses them for the routine medical stuff to save money. Unfortunately, the wheels of the VA move about as quickly as the wheels of justice.

My dad went in December for a check up and they heard something with his heart and wanted x-rays to check it out. Well, it was right before Christmas and realizing he'd probably forget to go after the holidays, he went right upstairs and got them done.

Just as he figured, he forgot about them.

About 6 weeks later, he gets a call that they want to do a cat scan of his heart for more information. He asked when the results would be ready and was told later that week or early the following week. 10days later, he hadn't heard anything so he tried to call. The calling thing went on for a few days until he got ahold of one woman who said that if he didn't hear from Nurse Bitch #1 (OK, so the woman on the phone didn't actually call her that but I am) by noon the following day, he should call her and gave him her name and number. Well, Nurse Bitch #1, that he was told would give him his results, finally called but said that she couldn't give them to him and that he needed to talk to Nurse Bitch #2 (again, my name).

Frustrated, he went out to get the mail after hanging up and there was a letter from the VA telling him he had another test (probably an MRI) scheduled for Tuesday and an appointment with the Department of Cardiac Surgery on Thursday.

My dad, now freaked and furious, calls the VA again. He gets transferred all over (which only makes him angrier) and finally gets a guy who tells him "If I were you, I'd call the Dept of Cardiac Surgery and ask what you are being seen for." He does and finds out that he's being seen for a potential aortic aneurysm.

Now, these can be very dangerous. Depending on where and how large, they may be able to put a graft in or they may not even be able to operate. If it's small enough, they could decide to keep it monitored. My husband's uncle died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm while driving a few years back. On the other hand, a friend's dad has had one for 2 years that they're monitoring because it's small and not growing. The good news is that it was found before it ruptured because there are almost no symptoms with this ailment.

The kicker of the whole thing is that NO ONE has talked to him about it. NO ONE has told him what he should do until it is confirmed and/or treated. Should he take it easy? Should he just be lying down all the time? Should he be running a marathon? Should he be making sure his affairs are in order (which we already know they are)? He most probably has a ticking time bomb somewhere in his torso and no one from the "successful" social medicine experiment known as the VA has talked to him about it ... but they've set up appointments for him. In the two months now since the x-rays, he has shoveled snow, done his woodworking side business, exercised for the sake of his health, painted, tiled, and gotten the house ready for sale in the Fall. Could any of these things caused the aneurysm to rupture?

While I am overwhelmed by fear and anger and sadness, I can only imagine what he is feeling. I mean, my head knows that my parents are human and they're going to die someday. At 85, I should be happy for the many, many years I have had with my dad. But, down deep in my heart, in my gut, I secretly hope they're immortal and will live forever. This event has made me realize this. It is a bitter pill to swallow because I want more. I'm not ready to say goodbye but this has forced me to acknowledge the fact that I'm going to have to ... someday.

So, there you have it. My dad is mortal. My dad is human. I'm just desperately trying not to freak out about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment